Sunday, May 28, 2006

Random Thought

If they removed all restrictions on advertising would sex still sell? I mean if there was no limits and you could quite blatantly advertise, say, a large family car by portraying, gratuitously and explicitly, a small orgy going on in the back, and then a close up of a woman looking up and smiling away as she gets DP'd by a couple of blokes- then saying "I love our New "insert car name and make her", it has so much room where my husband and I can swing to our hearts content in any secluded car park", before she puts her head down and starts eating out....etc.

You get the idea. If every ad went like that, would we become so desensitised by the advertising that sex would no longer sell? Would it get more and more debased to the point where in order for something to be shocking and to stand out from the rest of the advertising, it would have to be something like some people standing around a bbq, fully clothed, saying "I love - insert beer brand here- because, well, it bloody tastes good".

Would we go that full circle? Or would we just get to the really hardcore raunchy stuff and stay there with just loads of ads featuring sex and nudity? And if so, what would that say about us as a society? Obviously I don't think we are quite ready for that just yet (well, actually, I am. And if I concentrate hard enough, most television is already like that for me).

This same argument is occasionally put forward for drugs. If we put them in big barrels on every street corner, free to everyone, would it become so passe that nobody would bother? Or would that just lead us down a slippery slope of wanting some more and more hardcore?

Anyway, I am rambling.

Regards

Cracker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home