Monday, July 24, 2006

The Greatest Show on Earth

Well once again it has been run and won. With competitors from all over the globe, all at the height of their powers, pitted against each other in a fierce competition for the crown. Yes the Miss Universe 2006 is all over.

Hosted by a very white, perfect, toothed blonde American lass (what else?), and a kid in a candy store co-host named, I kid you not, Carlos Ponce, this annual must see TV event was everything I could have hoped for short of an Aussie victory.

Miss Puerto Rico was the winner. Congratulations to Zuleyka Rivera. Good luck on your countries version of Dancing With the Stars in 2008. Similar to handing out awards to brothels, I am not entirely sure how they actually judge this award. I know there is a swim suit section. Oh, yes the beloved swim suit section. Because, lets face it, if Aliens came from another Universe to visit ours, I bet they would want to meet our Universal Representative, and damn straight they would say, "and she better be wearing a bikini or we are zapping your sorry asses with our space ray guns!"

Aside from that, there is the Miss Congeniality, the Miss Photogenic, and the National Costume awards. I can't help but read that list of awards and think top myself - are they fucking serious?

To me it is a bit like a female equivalent to a bodybuilding competition (ignoring that there is actually female bodybuilding competitions - but come on, we all know the term "female bodybuilder" is an oxymoron). In a bodybuilding competition there are a bunch of generically muscled men on stage sterioded up to the eye balls all to me looking like huge, pumped, unnatural freaks. In the MUniverse, there is a heap of gorgeous women on stage all looking like huge, pumped unnatural freaks. The difference is the pumped on the women is a good thing.

Disappointingly our Aussie entrant Erin McNaught dipped out in the first round. So no Myers ads, DWTS, etc for her. Back to Zoo Weekly with your top off where you belong Erin! Actually thats a bit harsh. I may be biased but I thought she was as congenial, photogenic, and looked as good in a swim suit as the rest of them. And I looked pretty fucking closely.

for more info and photos, you can check it out for yourself at:

http://www.missuniverse.com/

Cheers

Cracker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home